Friday, July 9, 2010

A Little Sprucin' Up

During this downtime at the new job, I have been thinking a lot about the house and projects that need to be completed. I believe I am going to attempt a couple of these projects tonight. I have stumbled upon a couple of really good blogs lately and one in particular has inspired one of my projects for this evening. Life in the Fun Lane is one of the better DIY blogs I have found, especially when it comes to anything white or having to do with distressing furniture. I plan on making one of these tonight:

These are called ghost lamps and her blog entry can be found here. Assuming it turns out as planned, I will be putting the lamp in my bedroom hanging off my oddly sloped ceiling where I plan to move my gigantic chair after I purchase a replacement. It is a bit premature to make this tonight but I'm in the decorating/creating mood and these just look like fun! Plus my good pal Tara is willing to assist. :)


I've also been tossing around the idea of painting. One of the main reasons I settled so quickly on this house was due to my not having to paint anything because I loved the colors. The colors are fine but I've since learned that I find myself saying "they painted; they did; they whatever" and I don't like it. It's my house now and I want to make it mine! Plus some of the colors are dark and make rooms look smaller than they really are. This whole idea will likely pass but I'll be picking up some paint samples tonight no doubt.

I still have one wall in the living room that needs a little character. I decided today to make a photo wall. I plan to do this in my room also but these things take funds and I'm close to fresh out of those! I'm really liking the idea of this type of arrangement: Image found here

I like that it's more compact and the images pop. If I stumble upon lots of perfect frames, I would love to put one like this in my den with old pictures of my grandparents and parents growing up:

Image found here

My next task will be filling the frames for the one in the living room. Either my camera sucks at taking quality pictures or Walgreens sucks at developing them. Probably a combination of both. Regardless I'm not really one to take pictures of landscapes or things that would make something like this more attractive. I'll have to work on that I suppose. Or maybe someone will just lend/give/not-know-I-stole pictures. Gotta love Facebook! ;-)

I will attempt to remember to take pictures of the house this weekend and share. It's still very much a work in progress but nevertheless, something to be proud of! Happy Friday!

2 comments:

Ansleighsmom said...

hey wanted to let you know i picked you for sunshine award this week check out my blog for details!

DRGM said...

Very late on my comment, but please remember attractive Auntie pics on your wall! ;-)